Tuesday 3 May 2011

pSeverius vs. eThagrosh -- 25pts

I know that I haven't posted much recently. I've been a bit busy, but not so busy that I can't make time to update you on the latest happenings.

Hobby-wise, I've nearly finished my Bronzeback. Pictures will follow soon, just as soon as I've finished the (non)metallics. I had a chance to give it a quick couple of games against some Retribution a couple of weeks ago, and I'm really impressed by its hitting power coupled with the utility of Beat Back. I'm looking forward to learning more one it's painted!

Last night was our usual club night and, as usual, we had an odd number of players, so I sat out the first game and played a swift 25pt game against Steve's Legion. Our lists looked something like this:

Thagrosh the Messiah
-Scythean
-Raek
-Nephilim Soldier
Raptors (max)

Grand Scrutator Severius
-Revenger
-Crusader
-Devout
Temple Flameguard (max) + UA
Exemplar Errants (min)
Wracks



You'll notice that our lists look a little strange. I eschewed 'jack support in favour of more hitting power, and Steve was running a little low on beasts for a standard eThagrosh list. Steve was having fun with his Raptors, and I'd left the Choir at home mainly to keep him happy (he's had some bad Choir experiences in the past), but I'm also experimenting with Protectorate lists built with minimal support. After all, we have such great, cheap 'jacks and infantry that squeezing in an extra one or two might well be preferable to the ubiquitous Choirs, Vassals, and suchlike. 

The game was fairly straightforward, which suited my tired brain. The scenario was Close Quarters, but this didn't impact on the game terribly (as it often doesn't when eThagrosh is involved, I find). Steve took the first turn and hurtled towards me, putting Dragon's Blood on the Raptors and Unnatural Aggression on the Scythean. My first turn saw my Menites advance cautiously (aware as I was of the threat range of Thagrosh's beasts). I dropped Defenders' Ward on the Errants, Shield-walled the Flameguard, and (of course) cast Eye of Menoth. My Revenger advanced on my far left flank around a wood, towards the Raptors, while the remaining 'jacks took position just behind my infantry.

In the second turn, Thagrosh feated and cast Manifest Destiny. This allowed the Scythean to butcher most of my Errants and retreat behind the woods. The Raek then advanced to kill another Errant, and engage several Flameguard. The Raptors then advanced in an attempt to tie up my 'jacks to keep the beasts safe from reprisal. Unfortunately, Steve had left a gap in his defences. After the Devout burned up three focus (!) to take out a Raptor, my Crusader was free the trash the Scythean, whilst the Flameguard took out most of the Raek and left it on fire. Severius considered his options, and decided to finish the Raek personally, hiding behind the Flameguard. Feeling a little exposed, I decided to use his feat to stop Thagrosh from casting spells in his control area. This turned out to be a lifesaver.

The next turn saw Steve go for broke, trying to damage Severius with his Blight Breath and camp a few Fury for transfers, presumably hoping to survive the next turn and finish Severius in melee. Unfortunately, he just missed the ranged attack roll, and Severius was left fully health.

What happened next turn was that Severius fired off four Immolations at Thagrosh, the damage from one of which was transferred to a spawned Shredder. The Flameguard then sealed the deal by killing off the Shredder (which was doing a fine job od limiting charge lanes to Thagrosh) and ultimately ending the ogrun's assault with some well-placed spear thrusts.

Result: Win by assassination to Severius.

It wasn't the most tactical game ever, and was really dominated by Steve's poor feat turn. I wondered afterwards whether sacrificing an additional Raptor would have kept his Scythean alive to cause more havoc next turn (probably), or whether he would have been better off tying me up with Raptors and saving the feat for the following turn. Still, it was only his second game with eThagrosh, and I'm sure he'll make better use of the feat next time we meet. He tends not to make the same mistakes twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment