Thursday 24 February 2011

Where Sleeping Gods Lie: Prelude

I'm going to try something new this weekend. The Legion of Snake Eyes wargaming 'club' are running a Warmachine and Hordes campaign weekend entitled "Where Sleeping Gods Lie". Having never been to a campaign weekend for any game system, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works.

The backstory to the campaign seems to follow the opening (or otherwise) of an ancient Iosan tomb, and the attempts of a fragile Cygnaran/Iosan alliance to return the remains interred within to Ios. Meanwhile, dark agents are guiding the forces of Khador and Cryx to capture the remains for their own sinister purposes. The remaining factions either fight for coin or for their own mysterious reasons.



Whether I decided to take my Protectorate or my Skorne, I'd be fighting in the 'Destroyers' camp (the last of the four mentioned above). Given that my choice made little difference to the faction balance, and probably results in about the same contribution to the story, I decided to use it as motivation to get my Skorne painted, and I've very nearly managed it! I just have the finishing touches on my Arcuarii to go...

Much as I'd have liked to send one of the Skorne mystics to investigate the rather death-based goings-on, I haven't actually got around to getting any of them yet, so Archdomina Makeda will be personally leading (a small portion of) the Army of the Western Reaches to war. Here's the list:

Archdomina Makeda
- Titan Gladiator
- Cyclops Savage
- Razorworm
Cataphract Arcuarii (min)
Venator Rievers (min)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min)

Ok, so it's not a theme list. I don't have any Praetorians or Cetrati to fill out the numbers, so the Arcuarii are in there to plug the gap for now. I gave this list a try at the club night on Monday, and it's quite fun. I was up against an eSkarre list with a bunch of Satyxis and Bane Knights, along with Malice and a Seether. I ended up being very impressed with MAT9 Arcuarii under Carnage, and MAT7 Venators were a nasty surprise for my opponent too. That'll show him for trying to engage my ranged troops with Satyxis! I still need to learn when best to use Makeda's feat, but with so many ranged troops I should be able to make good use of it when I get it right!

My other list, which is only a 15pt one, sees everyone's favourite torturer, Master Tormentor Morghoul take the lead. Here it is:

Master Tormentor Morghoul
- Titan Gladiator
- Cyclops Savage
- Cyclops Brute
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min)
Bloodrunner Master Tormentor

It's simple enough list, designed purely around landing the first blow with a souped-up Savage (or Brute), making it count, then following up with the Titan. Morghoul and the BRMT can take care of the enemy infantry (as long as it's alive). I've run the small scissorhanded one in lots of games now, and I'm always surprised at how well he chews through opposing infantry units. Having him poke 14 damage points out of Karchev is pretty funny, too. Cryx are, as ever, the bane of a Paingiver-heavy list. I'll just have to hope that they don't throw too many bodies at me in such a small game. Of course, that's what Goreshade and his free Bane Thralls are for... I don't like Goreshade!

That's just about it from me for now. I've got the day off work tomorrow, and I'll need it to finish those Cataphracts! Maybe I'll get back with some photos tomorrow. Until then, take a look at what my lovely fiancee made for my birthday!



It's Morghoul! On a T-shirt! Awesome. Just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment